8 January 2012

London 2011 ~ The experience

It's a little late to even talk about my trip to London last year, wow, sounds like it has been ages haha. Anyway, I promised you, so I'll tell you every detail I remember. So it was December 28th, around 8pm and I was having a video call with Catharina while packing, yes we were packing for two days. So a few hours later, 10pm my mother and sister went to the train station and my father and I picked up Cath and her father. The bus was already waiting, so we could leave immediately, I said goodbye to my family and our big London trip started. It was a long trip, we were sitting in the bus for 10hours, although we were sitting, it was quite exhausting. Right,  enough about the boring, sleepless ride. We arrived in London at 8am, local time and we did a little sightseeing by bus, it was nice to see the sunrise by the tower bridge. And oh, we drove along Kensington park, which was delighted, or well actually, it was just a park, cold and empty, but it was Kensington park. Right, we got dropped around 9am, just around the corner of the London Eye and the Big Ben. We took some pictures and just walked a little until we found a Starbucks, where we had breakfast, actually just coffee and a muffin if you can call that breakfast. After our stop we decided to go to Buckingham Palace which was, I think, pretty impressive to see. Then, it was shopping time, our first stop was Harrods. It was beautiful to see, from the in- and outside with, still, all the Christmas decorations. I must admit, it was absolutely a must-see but I prefer la Fayette in Paris. Hm, after Harrods we went to the 'typical' English fashion shops, the shops we don't have in Holland yet, or we have only one of them in Amsterdam and how many times a year am I in Amsterdam? Exactly. So next stops were Topshop and Forever21, although I liked the collections and loved the shoes, I didn't buy anything. Past the little shopping part we had to see Piccadilly Circus and visit Oxford street, so we took the Underground to Piccadilly Circus, took a few photos, had lunch at a British pub and went shopping in Oxford street, and oh we loved it. After Mango, Zara, H&M, New Look and many more shops, including Carnaby Street we wanted to go to Primark. So Cath and I were looking on a map and we were searching where we were on the map and we were looking and searching and telling each other why we were on that place and when we found out, there was a spot on the map saying: 'You are here', we were like, are you kidding me?! So typical. Right, Primark; what a quest and when we finally knew where the store was situated we were literally racing to it. We arrived at Primark and went speed shopping because we only had one hour left. After one hour we discovered we had another 2 hours, fail. So we finished our shopping session and went back to the bus, where we had to be at 9pm, which would take us to the hotel. It was an okay hotel, it was only for one night so, it didn't matter. Cath and I changed clothes, fixed our make-up and went to the restaurant for dinner. It felt a little weird to have dinner at 10:30pm, but we were starving. After dinner we went back to our room and we wanted to relax, watch some tv, take a shower and go to bed 'early'. Unfortunately we made too much noise and a guy knocked on the wall. Haha, okay that clearly didn't help so he came to our room and knocked on the door to ask if we could be silent, to be honest, that didn't work either. When he was standing in front of our door I asked him if he could fix the socket and tv, luckily he could help, but he decided to stay with his friend in our room. We talked a little and watched some tv till 2am. Cath and I really wanted to take a shower so we told them to leave. The next day we woke up quite early, 6am local time. We put on make up, dressed up and went to the restaurant where her dad hold a table. After breakfast we went to the Tower Bridge and Saint Paul. The cultural part was finished and we went again to Starbucks for some energy. With new energy we took the underground to Covent Garden, which looked quite nice. Then again Oxford street, this time we started on the other side. We didn't have loads of time, just a few hours, and just so you know, I can't shop under pressure especially time limits haha. At 3pm, we had to be back at the London Eye where the bus would pick us up to drive back home. This time, it wasn't such a long trip, we watched a few films, slept a little and added some extra energy with energy drink, which made us way too hyper active, which wasn't so nice for the other passengers, but they didn't complain. Around 11pm we arrived back home at the train station. It was a really short trip, but I enjoyed every moment of it. London wasn't what I expected, but I did like it and I definitely want to go back!