1 July 2012

Rock Werchter 2012


I don't have a lot to talk about, but I wanted to let you know that I did have an amazing day at Rock Werchter, notwithstanding that I was solo there. My dad decided to drive me to Belgium and drop me at the station of Leuven. There was supposed to be a bus to drive people to the festival area. So when the bus stopped I was surprised I had to walk another1.5km or so to actually reach the festival area.

When I saw the big 'Welcome' sign at the entrance it amazed me how crowded it was, I mean, okay I did expect something, but this was like crazy. When I reached the begin of the I discovered it was only the security. When passed, you had to stand in another line to show your ticket and to get a wristband. I was finally in and Within Temptation was performing, I already missed ‘The All American Rejects’ and ‘Bombay Bicycle Club’ I was fed up to the back teeth. I decided to take a look at the festival area and stopped by the merchandise to look if they had maybe a nice shirt from ‘The Kooks’ or ‘The Maccabees’, unfortunately they didn’t. Then I bought a drink and watched the last songs of Within Temptation.

When they were done I decided to stand in the front section of the main stage where ‘Rise Against’ would perform pretty soon. It was so crowded there and there were mosh pits, predictable and even worse was that I wanted to go to ‘The Barn’, another stage, after a few songs from Rise Against to see ‘The Maccabees’. It was a hell to get out of the front section but I did it and I didn’t miss my favourite Maccabees song, thank god. ‘The Maccabees’ were really nice to watch and to listen to. Plus I finally saw Orlando in real life! Eh when they were done I didn’t know where to go so I went to the Pyramid Merquee, the third stage, to see what was going on there. Cyprus Hill was about to begin, I had no idea who it was or what his music was like. I left after two songs to see Blink 182 perform with a strawberry smoothie in my hand.They were nice to see, I only knew one song but that was okay. Blink 182 was finished and I got something to drink and then I had to wait to see Elbow perform.

Elbow was definitely the most beautiful act of the day if you ask me (this wasn’t because of the guy who was standing next to me a little bit too close). After Elbow I went to ‘The Barn’ again to see Selah Sue. She had some nice songs, it was lovely to hear and it was quite crowded. When Selah Sue was done I went to the Main stage for ‘The Cure’. They was actually a little too old for me and I didn’t know any of their songs so after let’s say, two songs I decided I had to go back to ‘The Barn’ to wait an hour for the performance of ‘The Kooks’.

Luke Pritchard

I wanted to stand right in front of the stage but there were already quite some people when I arrived. When they were almost ready all the people who sat that hour suddenly stood up and they pushed. They all wanted to get right before the stage. I did it, I got right before, there were like 3 people in front of me, but I was able to see Luke Pritchard in real in detail. It was so freaking hot there in the tent but it was absolutely totally worth it. I had the time of my life at ‘The Kooks’ and they were the best for last for me. I heard a song from Skrillex on the background when I was getting a drink before heading home. When I walked back to the bus I heard ‘D.A.N.C.E. from Justice’, it was a shame that I had to miss those two acts but I was tired as hell, my feet hurt a lot and I had to work on Friday.

I have to say, I really had a great time and I will definitely go again next year, maybe all the four days, maybe only one, I’ll see, but I will!